Beginner Piano Lessons
Free Piano Lessons
Free Piano Lessons Online
Welcome to your free piano lessons online for beginners! These lessons give you a fast and easy introduction to learning how to play the piano, for free!
Free Piano Lessons Online: 5 Finger Positions and Chords
This is lesson 3 in a series of free piano lessons for beginners. If you missed the previous lessons, here they are: Lesson 1, and Lesson 2.
In today's lesson you will learn:
- More about the different 5 finger positions and how to play basic piano chords or triads.
- How to keep strengthening your fingers with easy finger exercises.
- About music intervals and how to play them.
Let's Warm Up!
- Before you start playing the piano, stretch and flex you
fingers. Some mild bending and stretching of your back, shoulders and
neck is also a good habit.
- Check your sitting position and posture: Make sure
you sit at the correct height, so that your elbow is at about a 90
degree angle when your cupped hands are on the keys, and about 20-30 cm
distance between your torso and the piano keyboard.
- Remind yourself of the finger numbers:
The thumbs are number 1, etc. This will make it easier to "read" piano
fingering later. Remind yourself about the "geography" of the piano
keys; the keyboard pattern of black and white keys, as well as the note
names. Sit in front of middle-D on the piano- not too close to the
- Check that you have a “relaxed, cupped hand position” and that you play on the tips of your fingers. Warm up by playing the pieces you have learned so far and the finger
exercise you have learned in D minor and C major with steps, skips and
- Now watch the video and try these easy piano exercises in G major and A minor!